Pacquiao failed in his bid to become president of the Philippines after losing to Ferdinand Marcos Jr. who won the country’s election on Monday after entering the race after retiring from boxing.
Manny Pacquiao failed in his bid to become president of the Philippines after being defeated by Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
Pacquiao announced his intention to run for president after stepping out of the ring following his loss in his last boxing bout against Yordenis Ugas. The Filipina star was seen voting in the election near his home in Sarangani, but polling figures earlier today suggested Marcos Jr had done enough to win.
Official results confirmed Pacquiao came up short, finishing behind runaway winner Marcos Jr and Leni Robredo. Pacquiao claimed earlier in the week that initial poll numbers were incorrect after seeing him come third. Several political factions wanted Pacquiao to step down earlier in the race and lend his support to current Vice President Robredo.
Maverick Asio/ZUMA Press Wire/REX/Shutterstock)
Ahead of the result, Pacquiao thanked his supporters and called for political change regardless of the outcome. “I’m a boxer. I’m used to any contest,” he said. “I let people decide. But remember, regret is always at the end. We have always regretted our decisions, so let’s not repeat our mistakes now.
“If you want real change, which we have been seeking for a long time, join me, so you can see real change and we can discipline errant officials who take advantage of their positions for personal gain.”
Despite the result, Pacquiao is unlikely to return to the ring after his disappointing performance against Ugas, even though his retirement was based on his campaign plans for the presidency. His mission to become president officially began in October last year, just two months after his last arc in the ring.
Would you like to see Manny Pacquiao back in the ring? Let us know in the comments section below
Several tempting options could emerge for Pacquiao if he chooses to make a comeback, including a meeting with pound-for-pound-rated Terence Crawford. “Bud” previously suggested he was devastated that a previous deal to do the fight fell apart.
“It would have been without a doubt a historic duel between fighters who have reigned in multiple weight classes,” Crawford said. “I was really disappointed not to have this fight. We were two days away from securing the fight, a lot of things happened, Manny Pacquiao’s team lied to us, it’s a whole bunch of things and reasons why this fight did not take place.”