Jermall Charlo has been cleared of all charges stemming from an alleged robbery incident.
BoxingScene.com has confirmed that the three-count case against the undefeated WBC two-division and reigning middleweight roster was dismissed on Monday, citing insufficient evidence to drop all charges. Charlo of Houston was previously arrested Aug. 7 and charged with three counts of second-degree robbery in response to a complaint filed July 16 at the Privat Martini Bar & Social Club in San Antonio.
Charlo was released on $5,000 bond, claiming his innocence and eager to prove that to be so in court. It never came to that, as investigators determined that CCTV confirmed Charlo’s insistence that the incident in question was just a misunderstanding that his payment card had originally been declined due to a fraud alert – a common occurrence among Chase cardholders.
The evidence supported Charlo’s version of events, fully closing the case according to Bexar County court records.
According to the initial incident report, Charlo allegedly stole money from a guest check wallet and accused a waiter of attempting to steal his debit card, while retrieving his driver’s license from another wallet. The report suggests that a member of Charlo’s party injured a waitress exiting the establishment, although there already appear to be disputes regarding both the sequence of events and the extent of the incident in question.
“I want to make it clear that Jermall did not steal money from anyone at the club or make threats to anyone,” said Kent A. Schaffer, Charlo’s attorney at the time. “When (the club) executed his card it was declined and he then received a fraud alert from Chase Bank asking if he had carried out the charge. He said yes and they told him to resubmit the charge.
“The waitress went to raise it and came back saying she couldn’t find the card. Jermall was upset that his card had disappeared as it was a debit card linked to an account with a substantial sum of money.
The filed incident report was where the two sides disagreed about what happened next. Charlo – who was in town to support twin brother Jermell Charlo in his undisputed junior middleweight championship clash with Brian Castano – was understandably upset at the establishment’s inability to locate his debit card. At that time, he saw his license come out of a check presenter to whom he took it back because “he didn’t want her to lose it too”, according to his lawyer.
Police responded to a call from the facility around 2 a.m., according to the report. Officials handling the case believed there was enough evidence to proceed with the case, with arrest warrants executed on August 7, according to Bexar County Court records. Charlo’s legal team feeling that it would be resolved, which ultimately turned out to be the case.
Charlo (32-0, 22KOs) has been out of the ring since a twelve-round unanimous decision victory over Mexican Juan Macias Montiel on June 19 at the Toyota Center in his hometown of Houston. The victory marked the fourth successful title defense for Charlo since his reign was upgraded from “interim” champion to “world champion” in June 2019.
Charlo’s next fight has yet to be revealed by Premier Boxing Champions (PBC). However, his name has remained in the headlines primarily as the leading contender to face pound-for-pound king and undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo‘ Alvarez (57-1-2, 39KOs).
The rumored fight is targeted for a Pay-Per-View on May 7 in Las Vegas at Cinco De Mayo and with Charlo gaining weight in a bid to become a three-division title slate. Such talk comes as his twin brother Jermell awaits a firm fight date for his undisputed junior middleweight championship rematch with Castano.
Jake Donovan is Senior Writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox