Rashidi Ellis announces his signing with the first boxing champions

“Speedy” Rashidi Ellis will soon return to the ring.

The undefeated and well-regarded welterweight from Lynn, Massachusetts, announced on his Instagram on Friday that he had joined Premier Boxing Champions. Ellis had been out of the ring for nearly a year and a half due to a contract dispute with his promoter Golden Boy.

This issue appears to have been resolved.

“It’s official,” Ellis’ post read. “We are ready for big fights!”

Known for his quick fists and boxing ability, “Speedy” last fought in October 2020 in what was arguably his most significant win to date: a 12-round unanimous decision win over Alexis Then-promotional teammate Rocha at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, Calif., on the undercard Jaime Munguia against Tureano Johnson. Rocha’s victory aged well for Ellis, considering Rocha’s recent victory over Blair Cobbs at the USC Galen Center in Los Angeles.

Oscar De La Hoya, the founder of Golden Boy, recently answered a question regarding Ellis’ extended layoff. De La Hoya said he at one point tried to offer Ellis a deal to fight Vergil Ortiz, the hard-hitting Texan considered one of the crown jewels on the Golden Boy roster, but claimed that ‘Ellis had turned him down.

“We recently offered him a fight against Vergil,” De La Hoya said on The DAZN Boxing Show. “If the fighters refuse the fights, there is nothing I can do.”

Ellis (23-0, 14 KOs) should benefit from his PBC roster, given PBC’s strength at welterweight. In addition to 147-pound WBC and IBF champion Errol Spence Jr. and WBA title slate Yordenis Ugas — the two will square off on April 16 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas — PBC also has former slates of titles to Danny Garcia and Keith Thurman, as well as rising names like Eimantas Stanionis.