Ryan Garcia on Gervonta Davis: ‘You ain’t a bigger star than me, man; I’ll suck my ego and say 50-50’

Ryan Garcia thinks he has to assume a sense of nobility to get Gervonta Davis to fight him.

Garcia, 23, and Davis, 27, are two of the sport’s most popular fighters, but efforts to get them both in the same ring have so far been unsuccessful. Garcia, who seems to believe he has the higher Q score than Davis, says he would normally command the biggest chunk of the money pot, but in the interest of getting the potential fight on the negotiating line, he says he’d take a haircut out of his purse: that means splitting the money equally, 50-50.

“He can do a pay-per-view with somebody else, but I guarantee you it won’t do well,” Garcia said of Davis in an interview with Inside Boxing Live. “The only pay-per-view that’s going to work well is him and me. At the end of the day, you have to find a lot of things that work for both of us.

“And, no, you’re not a bigger star than me, man. Do not say that. I’m probably more of a star than you, but you won’t admit it, so I’ll suck my ego in and say 50-50.

One thing that goes against Garcia, despite the buzz he’s generating on social media, is that he hasn’t appeared on the card, unlike Davis. In fact, the Baltimore native’s last three fights have taken place on the pay-per-view platform. Davis’ dog handlers have been vocal in pointing out hard numbers to illustrate the commercial appeal of their charge.

Whatever Camp Davis thinks, Garcia insists he’s more than willing to give up many of his usual demands, except, say, his choice of gloves.

“To make this (Davis) fight, I would definitely, on some things, suck it up,” Garcia continued. “Like, s—, okay, we’ll give you that. I won’t be like [Marcos] Maidana and not using the gloves I want. He won’t force me to do that… That kind of stuff, no, he won’t mind.

“50-50. Although I should probably deserve a little more. I’ll definitely take 50-50. That’s probably the lowest I’ll take.

The two fighters were reportedly in talks, as preliminary as that may have been, shortly after Garcia’s knockout win over Campbell; Garcia (21-0, 18 KOs) is promoted by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, while Davis (26-0, 24 KOs) is backed by Premier Boxing Champions Al Haymon. But, as Garcia himself admitted, Garcia pulled out of those talks in order to pursue what he believed would be a much more lucrative and rewarding fight against former welterweight titleholder Manny Pacquiao. Of course, that fight never happened, as Pacquiao faced Yordenis Ugas after Errol Spence, his original opponent, pulled out with an eye injury; Ugas ended up beating Pacquiao on points.

Garcia says efforts to rehire Davis have failed.

“When I tried to come back to fight Tank, Tank was like, ‘f— you,’ Garcia said. “Okay, I get it. Like, I wasted time with you guys.

“They weren’t trying to make a real deal, to be honest. They were just trying to test the waters, see where we are, see if they could find out more about me. They’re supposed to be a bigger star – they’re not.

Garcia, a native of Victorville, Calif., has been missing for more than a year, citing mental health and a hand injury. His last time in the ring was a seventh round stoppage of Luke Campbell at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas on January 2. Garcia is scheduled to make his in-ring return on April 9 against Emmanuel Tagoe at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. .

Garcia believes the turnout for his upcoming fight against Tagoe will provide further proof of his drawing power.

“When I fought my fights, I had all the COVID abilities. I sold out all the COVID capabilities,” Garcia said. “We’ll see when I go to San Antonio how I do at the gate and so on. But I know that I will do good. My fans are going crazy. I know I sold every place I could sell.