Tom Brown: We offered Canelo $45 million for Charlo; $55 million for Spence at 164 or Benavidez at 168

The first two fights of Canelo Alvarez’s three-fight reunion with DAZN and Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing were revealed earlier this year.

If the Mexican icon defeats Dmitry Bivol on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Alvarez will drop back down from the 175-pound division to the 168-pound limit for his long-awaited third showdown with rival Gennadiy Golovkin on September 17. in a location to be determined. A third pay-per-view fight against an unknown opponent would seal DAZN’s new deal with Alvarez.

What hasn’t been revealed so far is that the exact offer from Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions and Showtime that Alvarez turned down the deal from DAZN included the option of a pay-per-view fight against undefeated welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. Tom Brown – whose company, TGB Promotions, represents Spence and Jermall Charlo – has informed BoxingScene.com that PBC has offered Alvarez a $45 million guarantee for fight Jermall Charlo on Saturday night and, had he conquered Charlo, a $55 million guarantee to fight either Spence at a catchweight of 164 pounds or David Benavidez at the 168-pound limit.

His fights against Charlo (32-0, 22 KOs) and Spence (28-0, 22 KOs) or Benavidez (25-0, 22 KOs) would have all been contested for the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO super middleweight titles. of Alvarez. . Golovkin, the IBF and WBA middleweight champion, would also move up from the 160-pound division to challenge Alvarez for his 168-pound crowns should Alvarez beat Bivol.

Alvarez’s combined compensation for the Bivol and Golovkin fights is believed to be comparable to what his guarantees would have totaled for fighting Charlo and Spence or Benavidez. Brown believes Eddy Reynoso, who manages and coaches Alvarez (57-1-2, 39 KOs), encouraged the four-division champion to take a path of least resistance against Russia’s Bivol (19-0, 11 KOs) and at Kazakhstan Golovkin (42-1-1, 36 KOs), who turned 40 last month.

“Congratulations to ‘Manager of the Year’ Eddy Reynoso for getting Canelo those huge paydays with the least risk,” Brown said. “He made her take the least risk for the most rewards. Because he had a chance to fight a reigning 160-pound world champion in Charlo and he also had a chance to fight a two-time undefeated former 168-pound champion in Benavidez. Or he could have fought the reigning welterweight champion. It was a $100 million deal.

DAZN aired each of Alvarez’s six fights before lining up with PBC and Showtime for his final fight — an 11th-round stoppage of former IBF champion Caleb Plant on Nov. 6 that made Guadalajara-native boxing the the sport’s first fully unified super-middleweight champion of the four. belt era. Multiple sources told BoxingScene.com in November that Alvarez-Plant had produced nearly 800,000 pay-per-view buys.

Alvarez, 31,’s win over Tennessee’s Plant (21-1, 12 KOs) at MGM Grand Garden Arena marked the first time Alvarez has fought exclusively on a traditional pay-per-view platform since his defeat in 12 rounds by the majority. of Golovkin in their rematch for the Middleweight Championship in September 2018 at T-Mobile Arena. HBO Sports has distributed the first two Alvarez-Golovkin fights on pay-per-view.

His fight for Bivol’s WBA light heavyweight title represents DAZN’s debut as a pay-per-view provider.

Subscribers to the boxing-centric streaming service can purchase the Alvarez-Bivol event for $59.99, while non-subscribers will be charged $79.99. Consumers can also purchase Alvarez-Bivol through cable and satellite providers.

“Luckily now for Matchroom and DAZN,” Brown said, “they’ll be able to ride our tails from our last show with Canelo, which wasn’t on an app. That show had the promotional muscle of PBC and Showtime behind it. Because remember, before our show, Canelo was kind of off the public radar for six fights in a row on the app.

“We brought an American world champion [Plant] to him and put our promotional force behind it. And look, we’ve made 800,000 purchases in the world today. We also had 16,500 people at the MGM Grand and we did an $18 million gate. Remember, he had over 70,000 in Arlington and he made a $9 million gate.

Attendance at Alvarez’s stoppage of England’s Billy Joe Saunders drew a reported crowd of 73,126 to the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on May 8.

This figure set an indoor record for boxing attendance in the United States. The previous mark of 63,352 has stood for more than 42 years – since Muhammad Ali took over the WBA heavyweight title from Leon Spinks in an immediate rematch that took place in September 1978 at the Superdome in New Orleans.

Spence, the IBF/WBA/WBC welterweight champion, was also a big draw at AT&T Stadium near his hometown of DeSoto, Texas. His 12-round unanimous decision loss to Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas drew a reported crowd of 39,946 on April 16.

Spence, 32, appears to be heading for a long-awaited title unification fight against WBO champion Terence Crawford. Brown, however, applauded his fighter’s confidence for taking a potential opportunity to move up three weight classes to fight Alvarez at catchweight.

“Errol Spence is the next guy in boxing,” Brown said. “He’s already a pay-per-view star. He makes legitimate doors. And look, he showed his courage. He was willing to move up more than two weight divisions to fight Canelo, to cement his legacy. It shows how special he really is and what a true champion he is.

Keith Idec is senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be contacted on Twitter @Idecboxing.